We offer free ashram accommodation for pilgrims who would like to stay for four nights or longer and get fully involved in our worship and Seva program.
What to Expect
A stay at Skanda Vale offers a chance to experience another way of living – where each day starts and ends with devotion, and where every activity encourages selfless action and mindful focus. It’s a chance to free yourself from distractions and deepen your devotion to God through worship, nature, work and community.
Sometimes it can be challenging, but this is an important part of the process. The resident community has a wealth of understanding and experience to support you during your time here.
Ashram accommodation is only available for devotees wishing to stay for a minimum of four nights. There is no maximum stay, but stays longer than two weeks will be reviewed periodically by the Swami’s Council.
Food, accommodation and temple services are provided free of charge; donations are welcomed but not expected. Accommodation is shared with other pilgrims—unmarried men and women stay separately.
You should offer a minimum of four hours of Seva (selfless service) each day, and attend all pujas in the Lord Murugan Temple. Having a positive, open and flexible attitude towards the daily program is important.
05.00 to 06.00: Lord Murugan Puja (Compulsory).
06.30 – 07.30: Maha Shakti Puja.
08.00 – 08.30: Breakfast.
09.30 – 11.00: Sri Ranganatha Puja or Seva.
11.00 – 13.00: Seva (Compulsory).
13.30 – 14.00: Lord Murugan Puja (Compulsory).
14.00 – 14.30: Lunch.
14.30 – 17.30: Seva (Compulsory).
18.00 – 19.00: Maha Shakti Puja.
19.30 – 20.30: Supper.
21.00 – 21.45: Lord Murugan Puja (Compulsory).
Students, community groups, extended families and friends of up to 16 people are all welcome to join us. Depending on availability, the Swamis may be able to offer spiritual talks and Q&A sessions; options can be discussed when you arrive.
- Please do not leave early. If you are unsure if you will be able to stay in the ashram for four nights, please book a short stay at Skanda Hafan instead.
- Skanda Vale supports family life, so we don’t allow pilgrims to stay here at the expense of neglecting their responsibilities at home.
- Elderly or disabled pilgrims must come with a family member or friend. Your children are your responsibility and must be supervised at all times.
- Please apply at least one week before you want to stay and make just one booking at a time – multiple bookings will not be accepted.
- No bookings more than 90 days in advance.
- You must inform us immediately if you have to cancel your booking.
- You must properly clean your accommodation before leaving, and vacate by 12pm on your day of departure.
- Check-in times are 4pm to 5pm, and 7:30pm to 8pm.
WHAT TO BRING
- Towels, sheets, duvets, pillowcases and / or sleeping bags.
- Clean, modest, loose-fitting clothes, reserved for wearing in the temples.
- Outdoor working clothes – waterproofs and welly boots are best.
- £1 or £2 coins for the washing machine and tumble-dryer.
- A head torch and spare batteries are very useful.
- Alarm clock.
Please read our code of conduct before you apply:
APPLY TO STAY IN THE ASHRAM
Please remember, ashram accommodation is for a minimum of four nights.
Please book at Skanda Hafan if you prefer a shorter stay. If you need help finding somewhere to stay please check our list of local hotels and B&B’s or you can contact Discover Carmarthenshire on 01267 231 557.